O’Connor 2602 is a suburb of Canberra, Australia in the North Canberra district. It was named after Richard Edward O’Connor (1851–1912), who was a judge in the High Court and a founder of the Australian constitution. Street names in O’Connor are named after explorers, Australian flora, legislators and pioneers. The suburb name was gazetted on 20 September 1928.
O’Connor is bounded by Wattle and David streets, and also includes the Bruce/O’Connor ridge nature reserve, the hilly area with many trees that lies between the houses in O’Connor, and the Australian Institute of Sport (in the suburb of Bruce). Sports such as soccer, rugby and cricket are often played at the ovals at O’Connor district playing fields.
O’Connor has a small shopping centre with a pub/bar, small grocery store, a couple of restaurants and a pharmacy.
The suburb is characterised by leafy streets and detached single dwelling houses. In the central part of O’Connor are a series of cul de sacs which contain houses which are known as Tocumwal Houses. These are heritage listed ex-government housing which were transported from RAAF Station Tocumwal after the Second World War to cover the housing shortage in Canberra in the 1950s.
The ACT Heritage Council has also listed the Scout Hall at the corner of Hovea Street and Boronia Drive. It was originally built as a mess hall for construction workers at Old Parliament House and was later moved to Kingston and used as an office of the United Friendly Society. In 1959, it was moved to O’Connor to become a Scout Hall.
A number of Aboriginal places on the Bruce and O’Connor Ridges are also on the heritage list. The small part of the suburb to the east of Sullivans Creek is beginning to be redeveloped under a policy permitting two and three-storey flats.